A Texas live oak, the official tree depicted on the Education Department's official seal was planted in the plaza at 400 Maryland Ave., S.W., facing the National Mall.
- U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
- Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson
- White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley
- Lynda Bird Johnson Robb, daughter of President Lyndon B. Johnson
- Chegg CEO Dan Rosensweig
- American Forests CEO Scott Steen
- Fifth grade students from D.C.'s Amidon Elementary School Knowles Elementary
- Jośe Rodríguez (Teacher Ambassador from Cedar Park, Texas)
- raise environmental literacy, both inside and outside the classroom;
- reduce a school's environmental footprint by improving energy efficiency and resource use; and
- increase a school's environmental health.